David Russell AM RFD QC
David Q.C. was admitted as a solicitor, in 1974, and was first called to the Bar in 1977.Â He is admitted to practise inÂ Australia, England and WalesÂ (where he is a member ofÂ Lincolnâ€™s Inn), the Courts of theÂ DubaiÂ International Financial Centre,Â New ZealandÂ andÂ Papua New Guinea.Â He was first appointedÂ Queenâ€™s CounselÂ in 1986.
David currently practises in Sydney (Ground Floor Wentworth Chambers) and Brisbane (Sir Harry Gibbs Chambers) and is an associate member of chambers in London, New York and Abu Dhabi (Outer Temple Chambers), Auckland (Shortland Chambers) and Darwin (William Forster Chambers).
He has acted for Commonwealth and State Governments as well as individuals and corporations.
David was President of theÂ Taxation Institute of AustraliaÂ from 1993 to 1995, and of the Asia Oceania Tax Consultantsâ€™ AssociationÂ from 1996 to 2000.Â He is a member of the Law Council of AustraliaÂ Business Law Section Taxation Committee.Â He served as a member of the Ministerial Consultative Committee for the Tax Law Improvement Project from 1994 to 1997 and as a member of the Steering Committee for the National Review of Standards for the Tax Profession in 1993 and 1994.Â From 1991 to 1995 he was a member of the National Tax Liaison Group.
David has lectured and written extensively on taxation related topics in Australia and overseas (including New York, London, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Brussels, Dubai, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kuala Lumpur and Karachi) and served as a member of the Advisory Editorial Board of Australian Tax Practice. He has lectured at theÂ University of SydneyÂ for the Master of Taxation course, the University of Queensland for the Master of Laws course and served as anÂ Adjunct ProfessorÂ of the University of Queensland. He is the Australian correspondent forÂ Trusts and Trustees.
David is Chairman ofÂ STEP AustraliaÂ and the STEP New South Wales Branch, a member of the STEP World Wide Council and Member Services and Public Policy Committees and the Committee of the STEP Contentious Trusts & Estates Special Interest Group, a co-chair of the Australian Chapter of theÂ International Section of the New York State Bar Association, and a member of the Executive Committee of the Section, an Academician of The International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, an Honorary Member of the Taxation Institute of Hong KongÂ and a Fellow Member of theÂ Chartered Institute of TaxationÂ (UK).
David is listed in the Taxation Category in theÂ Australian Financial Review/Best LawyersÂ review of the Australian Legal Profession in 2008 and all later years. In 2010 he was awarded theÂ Order of the Rising SunÂ with Gold Rays and Neck Ribbon for services to Australia Japan relations. In 2012, he was made a Member of theÂ Order of AustraliaÂ for, amongst other things, â€śservice â€¦ to taxation law and legal education
David Russell QC commenced legal practice in 1974 as a world renowned legal practitioner and advocate in:
- international and Australian taxation;
- trusts & pensions;
- professional negligence;
- financial services; and
- law in sport.
Called to the bar in:
- Australia, England & Wales (Lincolnâ€™s Inn) (2013), the Courts of the Dubai International Financial Centre, New York (as a Legal Consultant), the Singapore International Commercial Court, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.
- Judge Advocate, Australian Defence Force 1988 â€“ 2004;
- Whoâ€™s Who in Australia 1997 â€“ Present;
- Chartered Tax Adviser of the Year 2014;
- Best Lawyers 2008 â€“ Present;
- Freedom of City of London 2014 â€“ Present;
- Queenâ€™s Counsel â€“ Queenâ€™s Counsel (post nominal QC) are lawyers appointed by letters patent to be one of Her Majestyâ€™s Counsel learned in the law. Membership exists in various Commonwealth countries around the world and it is a status, conferred by the Crown that is recognised by courts;
- Letters Patent: Queensland, 1986, New South Wales, 1987, Victoria, 1987, Australian Capital Territory, 1988, Northern Territory, 1988.