Our Financial Expertise Spans Over 30 Years

The Court Process IF No Agreement

You will need to start an action in Court if you don’t settle matters amicably: via the BFA or Consent Orders route.

Going to Court for Financial Matters?

You will need to go to Court if you want to:

  • With agreement to formalise a financial arrangement (known as getting ‘consent orders’);

  • If there is no agreement or response from your partner to your letters or settlement offers; or

  • For spousal maintenance or other financial orders.

  • Goldman lawyers achieve outstanding results (99%) by this strategy?

  • We are experts at financial matters, not just in family law!

Financial Separation Process & Flowchart


Step One – Write To The Other Side

We write to the other side to invite them to resolve the dispute and we outline what our arguments are and what we are seeking.


Step Two – Attend Dispute Resolution

We selected dispute resolution service and we attend that service – this will cost both parties legal fees and the fees for the dispute resolution service.


Step Three – Written Notice Of Issues And Future Intentions

If we reach agreement then we file for consent orders in the agreement is formalised. If dispute resolution is not attended or fails to reach a solution, and at this stage we write again of the notice of the intention to start a proceeding. We again list issues in dispute and the genuine offer to resolve this issue is and wait at least 14 days from the date of the letter.


Step Four – Reply To The Notice Of Intention

If you receive such a notice of intention then we must reply on your behalf within this time period


Step Five – Lodge An Application In Court

Finally, after reasonable attempts to resolve the above by correspondence, we may file proceedings via an application in the Court.

Our Senior Family Lawyers

Jaswinder (Jas) Sekhon

Jaswinder (Jas) Sekhon

Managing Director

Jaswinder strives to simplify and demystify complex legal
matters, to explain them logically and without “jargon”.
He resolves and commits to the best possible commercial
outcomes for his clients.

Jennifer Cheal

Jennifer Cheal

Senior Associate/Practice Manager

As the practice director, Jennifer is a consummate professional and simply an outstanding lawyer. She has a great eye for relevant detail and yet also a wonderful sense of perspective in devising and implementing legal strategies.

Complex & Hidden?

As financial expert lawyers we bring our global experience to family law matters that involve a spouse that is difficult, concealing our structured in a way that defeat normal processes and understanding.

Goldman lawyers are experts at global asset protection and intranational tax issues!

Some of the most complicated accounting, legal and structuring matters that exist in the world today. We bring this financial expertise to complex financial matters in family law.

Speak to our senior partner today without obligation for a confidential discussion.

How Clients Seek to Avoid Disclosure

Parties to a family law proceeding must provide a full and frank disclosure of their financial circumstances under rule 13.04 of the Family Law Rules and rule 24.03 of the Federal Circuit Court Rules.

Parties must provide information on financial resources such as their income, assets, liabilities, expenses; no matter in whose name these assets are held (i.e., trust) or in which country they are held.

We look at 15 different methods below that an ex-(current) partner can hide money from you. These are based on our experience that spans over thirty years across global asset protection and tax planning. We have limited these to 15 but could easily provide many others.

If some of the below scenarios may apply to you or you just want to be sure, contact us for a free case assessment before it is too late.

15 Ways Spouses Hide Assets


Depositing money into trusts

Putting assets or monies into a trust does not protect them from family law proceedings. This is a misconception. As is, transferring money into children's names and so on


Minimising income and tax deferral

Deferring their salary or bonuses, not exercise stock options, bring forward tax deductions. Writing off assets and bad debts and so on.


Stockpiling cash- undeclared income

Withdraw extra cash while grocery shopping using their debit/credit card labelled “Shopping”/“Groceries”. Cash business receipts and so on.


Expensive items with gift cards

Purchasing expensive items or gift cards which can be used/resold or refunded later after the settlement.


Offshore accounts and overseas structures

Global payments and receipts. We can deconstruct these structures. Watch out for behaviour such as business trips before separation.


Declaring bankruptcy

Declare bankruptcy to show that they have little to no money or assets to contribute to the asset pool.


Related company or business rorts

Business owners. Start a private company and transfer their own money into the new business/company. Purchase assets as business expenses. FBT, reimbursement. Divert income receipts. Derive low salaries.


Overpaying on expenses and debt

Overpay and notify the bill receiver/ credit card company of the overpayment and receive a refund after settlement.


Loans to family or friends

Fictitious loans from relatives, friends or business partners or sale of assets to 3rd parties for less than market value


Online crypto currency and forex

Foreign currency and share trading accounts opened online or overseas; these can be used to purchase bitcoin and other crypto currencies which require a password and no beneficial owner. These are cashed in later on. Sophisticated strategies also use over-the-counter options.


Create losses with options

This is a bit more sophisticated. You do not disclose other options which close out your position but recognise the loss and a mark to market basis.


Inflate living expenses

Buy grocery items and pay for utilities for other parties or any combination of methods to inflate living expenses and slowly drain the asset pool. Over a few years this can add up to a significant sum.


Sale backs and damaged artefacts

Sell valuable assets on a mark to market basis at a low price with the understanding that the assets would be sold back to you after settlement. Usually this relates to coins, artefacts, jewellery, paintings or other assets which do not have a clearly identifiable market value. The items may be also declared lost, water or fire damaged or stolen.


Convert lump sum to an annuity!

Wow. This is a neat one, may reduce the asset pool by millions, especially if a defined benefit government fund.


Tax havens and nominee structures

The doosey of them all. No traceability one thinks? Think again.With over 30 years of offshore and onshore tax, finance and structuring expertise, we write the books on this. We know where and how to look.

Call to speak to us about any complex financial affairs as we achieve outstanding results in complex or international matters.

How Much Will it Cost?

We have streamlined our costs in a transparent way as much as possible and our fixed fee estimates are in the link below.

Book A Free Consult Online

of clients expect lawyers to be available outside of their office.

of clients expect lawyers to be available outside of business hours.

Book A Consult Online

Of consumers say handling issues legally is too overwhelming.

Of consumers say handling issues legally feels too stressful.

LawConnect is the one place to easily and book instantly our lawyers online.