Cross border marriages & global child custody
Where your case involves an international aspect, there are often complicating factors which require specialist family lawyers with experience of international matters. We have that experience, together with close links and sometimes joint ownership of law firms throughout the world.
Our global expertise and presence allows us to understand and deal with issues relating to the laws that exist in many countries outside Australia and the different basis on which marriages and child disputes are dealt with.
Our expertise extends to offshore asset tracing and recovery services as well as issues with children being taken overseas and the extension of our local Australian laws and conventions to custody and access disputes.
For example, with our office in Dubai, we have dealt with many mid-eastern issues concerning children and custody rights according to Sharia Law and in cases of mixed religion marriages.
Some of the cases in which we have acted include:
- Providing advice to determine which is the most appropriate and beneficial country in which to conduct the case where there are assets in more than one country;
- Property settlements involving assets and income in various countries, including a range of pension schemes and employment incentive schemes;
- Hague convention applications for the return of children to Australia;
- Child support issues including enforcing payment from overseas parents and child support agreements;
- Parenting arrangements where parents live in different countries, often with significantly different cultural issues;
- Complications involving arranged marriages under Hindu or Sikh matrimonial laws;
- Arrangements where court actions are brought in two countries.
We see people in very varying stages, from those who have not yet separated but are considering their options, to those who may have been divorced for a long time.
In keeping with our philosophy of giving you options and not taking a "one size fits all" approach, you have choices for your first consultation including a free "meet and greet", a short appointment or a longer appointment.
We will guide you as to which of our lawyers is likely to be the best option for you and your case. You will also have the option of seeing us at our office, or if you are further afield or international, an online conference call can easily be arranged.